"at the heart of the community"

  • Sign In

    Wasps reach final 

    Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:51:54 PM

    "The Wasps" reached their fifth Play-Off final on Saturday at Stark's Park after being the only team to defeat Raith Rovers in the league this season. Nobody could deny "The Wasps" were the better team over the two legs, winning 4-1 on aggregate. Having recorded a 2-0 victory earlier in the week at The Indodrill Stadium in the first leg, a scoreline which many on the evening believed could have been extended and the visitors were let off lightly.

    Raith Rovers started the second game at Starks Park on the front foot looking for an early goal to give them a lifeline but the Alloa defence stood solid. Indeed the breakthrough came at the other end which silenced the home support. Raith Rovers captain Kyle Benedictus holding back Ross Stewart to give away the free kick, which Jordan Kirkpatrick executed with great style.

    Kyle Benedictus fouls Ross Stewart
    Jordan Kirkpatrick scores free kick to open the scoring
    (Picture credit - Fife Photo Agency)
    It was a brilliant free kick from Jordan Kirkpatrick, who the previous Saturday at the other end of the ground was only denied by a finger tip save by graeme Smith.
    Jordan celebrates with manager Jim Goodwin
    Within seven minutes of the second half, Raith Rovers finally managed to get the ball past Neil Parry in the Alloa goal and they were desperate to try and get a second to the extent four of the Rovers players tried to wrestle the ball quickly from Neil Parry which resulted in a the referee issuing 3 yellow cards.
    Alloa players celebrate with kitman Pat Dunne
    In the box or outside?
    With time running out and still losing 3-1 on aggregate, Ross Stewart, who had ran himself into the ground scored the killer 4th goal to end Barry Smith's side chance to "Roar Back".
    Ross Stewart makes it 4-1
    Andy Graham consoles Graeme Smith
    Fantastic Alloa support at Starks Park

    Managers Corner