"at the heart of the community"

  • Sign In

    Wasps take deserved lead  

    Thursday, May 03, 2018 9:24:13 AM

    Our aim at the start of this season was to get promoted and we still have a chance to do that, last night's 2-0 victory over Raith Rovers in the Championship Play-Off Semi-Final 1st Leg puts us in a good position, but there is still a lot of football still to be played, the tie is far from over yet.

    Graeme Smith attempted clearance is blocked by Ross Stewart
    Ross Stewart opens the scoring after 23 minutes
    Raith Rovers, who would have been disappointed that they did not win the League One Championship on Saturday when "The Wasps" held them to a 0-0 draw, only made the one change to their team Ross Matthews starting in stead of Dario Zanatta. The Alloa Athletic team had three changes, returning to the starting line up were Stevie Hetherington, Iain Flannigan and Jamie McCart as Jim Goodwin set about winning the first leg tie. The opening goal in these games is always important and Raith keeper Graeme Smith will not want to look back at the highlights as he attempted clear the ball and was robbed by the alert Ross Stewart who took the opportunity to open the scoring.
    Stevie Hetherington injured after only 36 minutes
    Alloa Athletic were then suffer a set back when their recently voted "Player of the Year" Stevie Hetherington suffered what appears to be medial ligament damage and his season was over.
    Raith Rovers best effort of the evening came after 55 minutes when Jason Thomson's effort climbed over the bar as they looked to get into the game.
    Jason Thomson goes close for visitors
    Three minutes later Alloa increased their lead after great work by Kevin Cawley, who passed inside for Iain Flannigan to score his ninth goal of the season.
    Iain Flannigan celebrates his goal
    Alloa were looking to increase their lead and Graeme Smith after his initial mistake for the opening goal, redeemed himself in the second half to keep the scoreline at only 2-0.
    Iain Davison is shown the red card after 81 minutes
    Callum Crane is crowded out in the box late in game
    Managers shake hands at end of 1st Leg

    Managers Corner