"at the heart of the community"

  • Sign In

    Eight goal thriller 

    Wednesday, March 07, 2018 6:07:14 PM

    The Wasps recorded their biggest victory of the season scoring five goals against a very good Arbroath side, winning 5-3 on the evening after scoring three goals within the opening fifteen minutes in the only game which beat the weather last night at The Indodrill Stadium. This was "The Wasps" biggest victory since defeating Brechin City 6-1 on 15th April, 2017.

    Jim Goodwin's side got off to the perfect start, when Arbroath striker Leighton McIntosh handled the ball under pressure from Scott Taggart after only six minutes and Garry Fleming stepped up to fire an unstoppable strike from the spot to give Alloa the lead and Garry's first goal for the club. Three minutes later Ross Stewart scored the first of his three goals on the evening to make it 2-0 with a bullet header.

    And with "The Wasps" in total dominance Ross Stewart made it 3-0 after only fifteen minutes as the onslaught continued.

    This was just the start the manager had asked his players for after a disappointing first half at Stair Park. Arbroath did pull a goal back on 39 minutes when Michael McKenna headed home, but such was "The Wasps" threat in front of goal that it was no surprise when Ross Stewart latched onto a poor O'Brien header to regain the three goal advantage at 4-1.

    In the second period Arbroath came back into the game and had good possession but Alloa always looked dangerous. Bobby Linn did pull another goal back at 4-2 ten minutes into the second period which gave the visitors some hope. Alloa fought back into the game and wre unlucky not to be awarded a penalty kick, when ex Wasp Colin Hamilton pushed scott Taggart in the box as he headed just wide of the target.

    visiting keeper David Hutton then pulled off two remarkable saves, firstly from Jordan Kirkpatrick and then a header from Ross Stewart as "The Wasps" looked to extend their lead.

    Only a goal line clearance kept "The Wasps" out before substitute Iain Flannigan got that important fifth goal eleven minutes from time.

    Off the line
    5 - 2 Iain Flannigan celebrates goal
    Ross Stewart's hat-trick was first since Geig Spence scoring 3 against Brechin City in Play-Off final 2nd leg at Indodrill Stadium on 20th May, 2017. The match also marked Kevin Cawley making his 250th appearance for the club, the first person to do since Ross Hamilton in Season 2006/07.
    Kevin Cawley & Alloa Director Martin Ross


    Managers Corner